These. Are. Soooooo good. !!!! I substituted dried cranberries instead of raisins (just cuz I’m not a fan of raisins), and the only thing I’m going to try differently next time, is doubling the sticky syrup mixture. The mixture only covered the lower half of the muffin (which is what made them so moist and uh-mazzzing), and I’d rather the muffins be a bit smaller anyway. So, I’m planning to make twice as many muffins (just smaller) with the same amount of muffin mixture, but will double the batch of sticky syrup, if that makes sense? As is, the specified sticky syrup amount already boils over quite a bit, making a mess, so I wouldn’t try doubling the amount of that in each muffin tin – I’ll just lessen the muffin mixture.
A little tip: I completely wrapped my leftover muffins in doubled-thick, damp paper towels, and then saran-wrapped them, and they stayed super moist for a few days like that (probably longer, but we ate them all within a few days!). Seriously, so, so good. xx -Carrie
- 1 cup (loosely filled) chopped dates or raisins
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup All Bran Cereal (such as Kellogs)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a small bowl combine chopped dates or raisins with boiling water and soda. Set aside.
- In a second small bowl, combine buttermilk with All Bran and set aside.
- In mixing bowl, beat sugar and eggs and oil until smooth.
- Stir in date mixture and All Bran mixture (from steps 2 and 3) then stir in the rest of the dry ingredients (flour, wheat bran, baking powder and salt)
- In saucepan melt butter along with the rest of the sauce ingredients, stirring until sugar is melted. Divide into 12 regular muffin pans, about 1 Tbsp per pan. Spray tops of pans.
- Divide muffin mix by large spoonfuls into syrup.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Invert onto cooling racks. Yield: 12 regular sized muffins